Why Education at Bethel?
At Bethel, you’ll be immersed in a Christian community that prepares graduates for meaningful service in the education field. Our education program stresses practical, real-world experience—because we understand that once you step in front of your first-year students, you’ll be confronted with challenges and surprises that go beyond what you learned from college lectures.
Here are a few highlights of the program:
- Licensure options. Students earn licensure in elementary education, pre-school education, high school education, and education for all grades in art, music, P.E. and English as a second language.
- Study abroad. Students study all over the world in places like Mexico, Great Britain, and China during January term as part of the education program and have the opportunity to student teach in many parts of the world.
- Immersion in schools. Students gain real-school experience from the very first education course. Special opportunities include experience in two pre-schools operated by Bethel—one in a diverse urban community; and work in Bethel’s other partner schools, including a K-12 charter school, and an alternative charter high school.
- Technology opportunities. Students get first-hand experience with current technologies including SmartBoard, Internet 2 interactive software, and online learning using Moodle software.
- Success rate. An average of 95% of all Bethel Education Program graduates pass required licensure examinations in basic skills, teaching content, and instructional pedagogy, placing Bethel in the top 25% of programs in Minnesota.
- Twin Cities Teacher Collaborative. Bethel's Education Program is a member of a six-institution collaborative to enhance urban teaching and raise the achievement gap in Minnesota. This collaborative, called Twin Cities Teacher Collaborative or TC2, is sponsored by the Bush Foundation of Minnesota. More information can be found at the link.