The Department of Human Kinetics and Applied Health Science endorses a philosophy that the key to health and wellness is the quality of one’s lifestyle, which has physical, mental, emotional, social, and spiritual aspects. Through our course work, we promote health and wellness with an emphasis on prevention, life-long learning, and the acquisition of knowledge, attitudes, and skills that can be integrated into a holistic lifestyle.
In our department, we’re committed to fulfilling Bethel’s mission:
- We are Christ-followers. Jesus addressed the whole person, meeting physical needs even before spiritual needs. All areas of study prepare students to impact the physical, intellectual, and spiritual well-being of those they serve.
- We are character-builders. Classes are natural laboratories for the teaching of dependability, reliability, self-control, loyalty, consistency, truthfulness, and teamwork.
- We are truth-seekers. Human Kinetics and Applied Health Science programs integrate Biblical truth with each discipline. Endorsing the proper care and nurturing of the temple of the Holy Spirit is one example of this.
- We are learners. Our majors help students meet specific educational outcomes established by outside accrediting agencies to ensure academic excellence.
- We are salt and light. The goal of both the professional and general education courses is to develop whole and holy persons who will seek to be ambassadors for Jesus Christ in the world.
- We are reconcilers. Physical activity is a great bridge that has the power to bring together people of diverse backgrounds.
- We are world-changers. Our students have a unique opportunity to view their discipline as a ministry opportunity to impact the world for the Kingdom of Christ.