Department of Biological Sciences
1. Cover Page
A Research Thesis
Submitted in Partial Fulfillment
of the Requirements for
the BA (or BS) in Biology
2. Abstract - no more than 200 words
3. Introduction - this section must be a part of all senior papers
4. Materials and Methods - section for research papers only. Replaced by review section in review papers. See below
5. Results - section for research papers only
4. - 5. Review Section - for review papers only the body of the literature review should be subdivided by subheadings to organize the paper in the most readable and clearly-understandable way. See one of the Annual Review of .... in the Library for examples of typical review-paper formats.
6. Discussion/Conclusion - section for research and review papers
7. Literature Cited - this section must be a part of all senior papers.
Wright, R. T. 1989. Biology Through the Eyes of Faith. Harper and Row, San Francisco Article:
Pimentel, D. , C. Wilson, C. McCullum, R. Huang, P. Dwen, J. Flack, Q. Tran, T. Saltman, and B. Cliff.
1997. Economic and Environmental Benefits of Biodiversity. BioScience 47(11):747-757.
Harris, R. 1997. Evaluating Internet Research Sources. [Internet] http://www.sccu.edu/faculty/R_Harris/evalu8it.htm (Date you accessed web page).
See Preferred Biology Department Format for Citing Sources for more details and examples
8. Other Format Issues
All papers should be formatted in the same way, namely: