Why Communication at Bethel?
In the Department of Communication Studies at Bethel, the broad and every-changing landscape of communication is our playground. We've designed a program that allows students to become confident speakers, active listeners, media gurus, business leaders, passionate writers, and more—the possibilities are endless.
Here are a few highlights of the program:
- Hands-on application of what you learn. You'll have opportunities to create, present, and compete from the first semester of your freshman year.
- Faith/learning integration. You'll learn to thoughtfully apply your Christian beliefs and values to the discipline of communication, whether on a large public scale, or in interpersonal relationships.
- Outstanding faculty teaching. Our 9 full-time faculty bring a wide variety of professional careers to classes, and apply their scholarship—in subjects such as film, family dynamics, and Native American culture—to teaching. The department is small enough for professors to take a personal interest in your development.
- Quality internship program. Communication majors have gained practical experience at a number of media outlets and prestigious organizations in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area.
- Regional and national success in forensics and research. Bethel's forensics team has taken a number of national titles, and for the past four years, research by Bethel student-faculty teams has won more awards from the Central States Communication Association than entries from any other institution.
- Honor societies and study abroad. Both Sigma Zeta and Lambda Pi Eta honor societies are available for students to participate in, as is the L.A. Film Studies program in conjunction with the Council of Christian Colleges and Universities.